Happy Housing America Month!
Snap Supply recently joined NAHRO, the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials. As a part of that, it is our pleasure as a member of NAHRO to participate in its Housing America Month. As a part of our observance of this month, we would like to highlight the organization’s mission to raise awareness for the need for, and the importance of, safe, decent and affordable housing in quality communities.
We are proud to be a part of NAHRO and to help spread its message about the crucial importance of quality, affordable housing in America. Here are some points about affordable housing that we would like to share:
- According to the State of the Nation’s Housing report, nearly 41 million households now pay more than half of their income for housing, with more than four out of five incomes below $15,000 paying more than 30 percent for housing
- According to current estimates, on any given night, there are nearly 650,000 homeless nationwide and up to 3.5 million persons who experience homelessness at some point throughout their career.
- According to the National Low-Income Housing Coalition’s 2016 Out of Reach report, in no state can a full-time minimum wage earner afford a one- or two-bedroom rental unit at Fair Market Rent.
- According to the National Housing Conference, health care workers and many other working professionals are priced out of homeownership in the majority of U.S. metropolitan areas nationwide.
- Public housing is home to more than 2.3 million people, 37 percent of whom are children, and faces an estimated more than $26 billion backlog in capital repairs.
- The National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials (NAHRO) raises public awareness of the importance of affordable housing and community development programs and resources.
Snap Supply is proud to be a member of NAHRO and to help raise awareness about the importance of safe, affordable, decent housing in quality communities!